WITHAM and District Ladies Probus Club recently hosted Norman Fisher, who came to talk at the club's November meeting.
The members were treated to a "virtual" tour of Doddington Hall.
With both words and pictures, Mr Fisher managed to conjure up a living image of the building, built around 1600 for Thomas Taylor, the Bishop of Lincoln's recorder.
The outside of the hall is Elizabethan and was designed by Robert Smythson (who also designed Wollaton Hall, Nottingham and the well-known Hardwick Hall, near the M1, in Derbyshire.)
The gardens of Doddington Hall have now been recreated as they were in Elizabethan times.
The inside is mainly Georgian and includes both tapestries and sculptures which depict a unicorn – the family crest.
Judy Shaw gave the vote of thanks, saying that it had given the members the inspiration to visit the Hall.