AN ANIMAL lover is calling for dog owners to muzzle their pets after her dog was severely bitten.
Sally-Ann Collins who lives at Tattershall Lakes Country Park is making the appeal for dog owners to be more responsible after her Westie cross, Frankie Junior, was bitten by two greyhounds in a public area of the park.
Both the greyhounds were on leads when the incident happened on October 4.
Mrs Collins said: "I have got two dogs and they are both so docile. I was getting into my car to go to Boston when we saw the two greyhounds being walked. My dog simply went up to say hello, she is not violent or aggressive.
"The greyhounds then attacked her, tearing the arteries in her neck.
"There was so much blood it was absolutely awful. She went into a deep state of shock."
Mrs Collins was able to get Frankie Junior to a vet who said her pet was lucky to be alive.
She added: "What worries me is if it had been a child who had been attacked, there would be no way they would have been able to get to hospital for treatment in time.
"Dog owners should be putting muzzles on their pets if they think their dogs are going to be aggressive while out being walked, then they can't harm anyone or any other animal.
"I came to stay at this park to recover from further heart surgery in July, this has all been rather traumatic. Also Frankie Junior had a tumour removed from her lymph glands in July which she has only just recovered from"
She said Frankie Junior has been left frightened and lost her confidence when outside.
Mrs Collins reported the incident to the police.
A spokesman from Lincolnshire Police said the matter was looked into but said it is not a criminal case as the dogs were on leads and it was an attack on another dog which in law, is viewed differently to a dog attack on a person.
The spokesman said: "We are aware that Mrs Collins has appealed for owners to muzzle their dogs. There are certain breeds of dog which have to be compulsory muzzled but greyhounds are not one of those breeds.
"We would like to remind dog owners that they are duly responsible for their pets."